1. Protect your eyes and the skin around them from harmful UV rays with sunglasses, a hat and sunscreen. UV damage can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, pterygia and many other avoidable eye conditions! Slip, slop, slap to look after your eyes.
2. As hard as it can be to do when you have sore eyes try to avoid eye rubbing at all costs. Rubbing your eyes will only irritate them more and if predisposed can even cause corneal damage and a condition called Keratoconus which is irreversible! Get instant relief with cold compresses, lubricating eye drops or antihistamines if indicated.
3. It’s possibly the most obvious but if you don’t already, an easy thing to do to keep your eyes healthy is to have regular eye tests. Your optometrist or eye doctor will be able to detect conditions which may be reversible or treatable before you even realise they’re happening. The biggest early detectable eye disease which is diagnosed way too late is Glaucoma and there are SO MANY treatments for this condition!
4. Like everything in life eating a balanced diet and having less healthy foods in moderation is really important for your eyes. Extra points for including leafy green vegetables, orange fruits and vegetables, antioxidant high berries, oil rich nuts and seeds and omega-3 heavy fish in your diet. This is why carrots, broccoli and spinach are great for eyesight!!
5. Take a break after 20 minutes on a screen. It’s well established that the extended periods of staring at a screen can have affects on your vision. Not by blue light (a myth to bust another day!) but because the eye surface becomes unstable from infrequent blinking and causes dry eye and eye strain! Take a 20 second break every 20 minutes and remember to blink!
6. Hold your phone, any other near device or book 30cm away. This roughly translates to the same length as your elbow to your knuckles and is the magic distance which your eye muscles and focusing system work perfectly! Any closer and you’re causing undue strain.
7. Stop, or don’t start, smoking or vaping. Another well established scientific finding is that smoking and vapes are dangerous for your health, in particular with your eyes, putting you at a much higher risk of macular degeneration, cataracts and dry eye disease.
Have you learnt a few good tips for healthy eyes? As us anything you want to learn further!